Need an idea for a great side dish with your dinner tonight? Try this simple recipe of roasted sweet potatoes with fresh marjoram. Not only does it take only 30 minutes to prepare, it’s a healthy substitute to traditional mashed potatoes. Where did this fantastic root vegetable come from and why is it healthy for you? Here are just a few benefits of this tasty vegetable.
Originally from Central and South America, the sweet potato can be traced back to 8000 BC. Even though sweet potatoes have an orange exterior, some can have a purple interior instead of the more common orange color. Both have similar health benefits:
- Sweet potatoes have twice the fiber content than other varieties of potatoes. It dissolves slowly in your system which means the caloric energy is more beneficial for your body than a low fiber carbohydrate.
- They are rich in Vitamin C and E, necessary antioxidants vitamins to fight against disease, strengthen hair and nails, and glowing skin.
- Another reason for your that glowing skin is the beta-carotene in sweet potatoes.They are one of the top sources for this powerful antioxidant. Not only does it help prevent cancer, it protects your skin from sun damage, and helps battles vision loss.
- Sweet potatoes contain high levels of potassium. Potassium reduces blood pressure, regulates the heart, and aids in brain and nervous system function.
On top of all those benefits, it’s absolutely delicious! So, without further ado, here is the recipe of the day.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Marjoram
Marjoram has a mild, citrus flavor which goes great with sweet potatoes. is a member of the same family as oregano, but has a milder, slightly citrus flavor. A little tip from Vegetarian Times: to keep peeled sweet potato cubes from browning, drop them into a bowl of water once they’re cut, then pat dry before preparing.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes (3 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh marjoram, plus 2 whole sprigs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus several sprigs for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss sweet potatoes with oil and marjoram in large bowl. Spread sweet potatoes in single layer on 2 baking sheets. Place 1 sprig marjoram atop sweet potatoes on each baking sheet; set 1 sheet on top oven rack and 1 sheet on bottom rack.
2. Roast sweet potatoes 10 minutes. Stir, switch position of baking sheets on oven racks, and roast 5 minutes more. Stir sweet potatoes again, and roast 5 additional minutes, or until browned on edges and beginning to brown evenly. Sprinkle 2 tsp. garlic over each batch of sweet potatoes, and toss to coat. Roast 5 minutes more, or until sweet potatoes are browned and crisp. Transfer sweet potatoes to serving bowl, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover the bowl and watch all your family sigh in delight when they taste your lovely creation!
What’s your favorite way to make sweet potatoes? Leave a message here or find me on Facebook.