We’re heading across the border for dinner tonight with this delicious taco recipe provided by Vegetarian Times magazine. I believe anyone trying to eat healthier, whether vegetarian or not, should subscribe to this magazine. At the very least, subscribe for their free daily emails. Today’s recipe is a Black Bean and Toasted Corn Tacos. Black beans are packed with fiber and antioxidants that lower cholesterol and provide a host of other health benefits. They are, by far, my favorite beans to eat. Without further ado, here are the ingredients to this yummy taco dish.
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 ½ tsp. ground cumin, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 12 baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup jarred roasted red pepper strips
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 small green onions, finely chopped (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, optional
1. Bring beans, salsa, garlic, and 1 tsp. cumin to a simmer in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until soft. Remove from heat, and mash with fork to crush beans for creamier filling, if desired.
2. Heat skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with olive oil cooking spray. Wrap corn in paper towels, and squeeze out excess water. Add corn to skillet in single layer, and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. cumin, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy, stirring frequently.
3. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350°F. Toast tortillas in toaster oven 1 minute to soften. Alternately, bake tortillas on taco baking rack in oven 7 to 10 minutes, or until crisp. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup corn, 3 spinach leaves, red pepper strips, cilantro, and green onions. Top each taco with 1 Tbs. cheese, if using. Serve immediately, or pack into lunch container, and chill.
For nutritional information on this dish and other recipes, see the original recipe here at the Vegetarian Times website.